The day after the men’s lacrosse team’s upset victory over No. 8 Princeton, goalie Eric Wenzel ’03 enjoyed bragging rights at the family Easter table. Now, Wenzel can lord another lacrosse feat over brother and Princeton attackman Mike Wenzel.

Yale’s Wenzel was named Ivy League Player of the Week yesterday for his 14-save performance in Yale’s 15-13 upset of the Tigers. The award is Wenzel’s first Player of the Week honor. With the win against Princeton, the Bulldogs (4-1, 2-1 Ivy) remained tied for second in the Ivy League, still in the hunt for their first league title since 1990.

Wenzel made many impressive saves throughout the game, but his biggest stop came seconds after the Bulldogs went up 14-12.

With Yale clinging to a two-goal margin, Wenzel came across the crease to stop Princeton attackman BJ Prager’s one-timer. The shot ricocheted off the shaft of Wenzel’s stick and traveled behind the net to preserve Yale’s lead.

“Huge,” head coach Mike Waldvogel said when asked of Wenzel’s play against Princeton. “Every save was huge.”

Wenzel’s 14 saves were twice the number of saves Princeton’s goalies could manage Saturday.

Midfielder Marko Lujic ’02 was named to the Ivy League Honor Roll for his three-goal, one-assist performance against the Tigers.

Lujic scored the game-winner nine seconds after Princeton pulled within 13-12.

–Marc Sorel

————

Women’s lacrosse player Katherine Sargent ’05 was named to the Ivy League Honor Roll yesterday. Sargent scored two goal against Boston University last Wednesday and notched three goals against Harvard Saturday.

————

The Ivy League named its Winter Academic All-Ivy Award this past week.

Each school nominates 10 student-athletes — five men and five women — who were starters or key reserves on a varsity team and who have a 3.0 or better cumulative grade point average.

The following Yalies were honored:

Cameron Hill ’02, a fencer, was first team All-Ivy in the epee.

Atticus LeBlanc ’02 had Yale’s top 200-meter breast stroke time and was second in the 100.

Robert Mutter ’02 is a chemistry major and a defenseman on the ice hockey team.

Greg Palumbo ’03 was second team All-Ivy in the 1,000-meter freestyle.

Daniel Senft ’03, a fencer, was second team All-Ivy in the foil.

Susan Cooke ’03 was first team All-Ivy in the 200-meter breast stroke, the 200-meter intermediate medley and the 400-meter intermediate medley.

Sada Jacobson ’04 became the first Ivy Leaguer to win two straight NCAA titles in saber fencing.

Heidi Kraus ’03 was first team All-Ivy in 1,650-meter freestyle and second in the 1,000-meter freestyle.

Helen Liu ’02 was first team All-Ivy in the foil for the fencing team.

Andrea Wolf ’03 was ECAC champion in the uneven parallel bars.

–Yale Daily News and IvyLeagueSports.com