Connecticut’s U.S. senators voiced opposition Tuesday to a plan that would string an electric power line beneath Long Island Sound.

Democrat Sen. Christopher Dodd urged the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Washington to reconsider last week’s decision to approve a plan by Cross Sound Cable Co. to install a transmission cable between New Haven and Shoreham, N.Y.

Opponents have expressed concern that the cable’s installation could harm the Sound’s ecosystem and disrupt commercial shipping.

Sen. Joseph Lieberman, also a Democrat, said he endorses a move in the Connecticut General Assembly to impose a one-year moratorium on new pipelines or cables across the Sound while the state studies the matter.

State Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said he would file a lawsuit next week seeking to halt construction on the project, which also has been approved by the Connecticut Siting Council.

Dodd met with New Haven Mayor John DeStefano Jr. and others who oppose the 24-mile long cable. Dodd said he believes the corps was “acting recklessly” by approving the project.

“We get no benefit from this,” he said. “All we see is public harm and damage.”

Corps spokesman Tim Dugan said any request to suspend or revoke a permit must come from the governor. Gov. John Rowland said he respects the procedure for the project’s approval and will not become involved.

–Associated Press