Swimmers earn All-Ivy awards

Several Eli swimmers were honored this week as the Ancient Eight announced its 2002 All-Ivy teams.

Susan Cooke ’03 led the way for the Bulldogs with three first-team honors. Cooke had Ivy-best performances this season in the 400-meter individual medley, the 200-meter individual medley and the 200-meter breast stroke.

Heidi Kraus ’03 earned first-team All-Ivy in the 1,650-meter freestyle and second-team in the 1,000-meter freestyle.

Daphna Shafir ’04 garnered second-team honors for the Bulldog swimmers in the 200-meter butterfly.

The lone diving award for the Yale women was given to Melanie Loftus ’05 who was second-team in the 3-meter diving.

The Eli men won three awards, with Greg Palumbo ’03 securing second-team All-Ivy in both the 1,000-meter and 1,650-meter freestyle events. Josh Gallant ’04 earned first-team after an Ivy-best in the 1-meter diving competition.

First-team All-Ivy awards were given to the season’s top performers in each individual event and top teams in each relay event. Second-team was awarded to the second-best finishers.

Both the Eli men (14-1, 6-1 Ivy) and women (12-1, 6-1) will next compete March 15-16 at the Zone Diving Championships in Annapolis, Md.

An O’Neill qualifies for NCAAs

Yale track star Kate O’Neill ’03 qualified for the 3,000-meter run at the NCAA Indoor Championships. O’Neill, who won the 3,000-meter event at the ECAC Championships, will compete in a field of 270 runners March 8-9 at the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville.