Brown officially adopted a need-blind admissions policy Saturday, beginning with the Class of 2007.

Brown currently admits 90 percent of its students without regard to their ability to pay, but considers financial means for the remainder of the class, the New York Times reported. The change to a completely need-blind policy comes after Brown University President Ruth J. Simmons proposed the switch shortly after taking the position of president last fall.

Michael Goldberger, the director of admissions at Brown, said in December that he expected the corporation to approve Simmons’ proposal. He said his office would welcome the ability to evaluate students without considering their ability to pay.

Myra Smith, the director of University financial aid at Yale, said she applauded the switch to need-blind admissions at Brown.

The adoption of a need-blind policy will cost Brown about an additional $1.3 million per year. The Times reported that the university would obtain the money by increasing tuition for full-paying students, soliciting more donations from alumni and drawing more money from the endowment.

Yale extended its need-blind admissions policy to international students last year, but Brown’s new policy will not apply to foreign students.

–Jocelyn Lippert, with additional reporting from the Associated Press