U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro will likely face a challenger from the Green Party this fall as she prepares to defend her newly reapportioned congressional district.

Self-described local activist Charlie Pillsbury, of New Haven, announced his candidacy for the office yesterday, pledging to break the political oligarchy dominated by Democrats and Republicans.

“The Green Party is a party that stands for democracy, justice and peace,” Pillsbury said in a written statement. “My campaign will help build this party for our children and grandchildren.”

He did not return phone calls seeking further comment.

DeLauro is seeking re-election to her seventh term this fall in a heavily Democratic 3rd District that includes New Haven and Middletown.

Pillsbury is seeking the nomination of the New Haven Green Party, which will meet this Wednesday.

Pillsbury, who is married and has four children, is currently the executive director of Community Mediation, Inc., a local conflict resolution organization.

While incumbent DeLauro is expected to retain her seat this fall, a battle is heating up in northwestern Connecticut’s 5th District, created late last year when state legislators merged it with the 6th District to meet census mandates. Because Connecticut’s population did not grow as rapidly as those of several other states during the 1990s, legislators were forced to eliminate one of the state’s six Congressional seats.

Democrat James H. Maloney, who currently represents the 5th District, is running against 6th District Republican Nancy L. Johnson.

–James Collins