Unionized workers at Stratford-based Sikorsky Aircraft approved a new contract Sunday that includes annual 3 percent wage increases and a boost in pensions.

About 85 percent of the approximately 2,200 workers who cast ballots voted in favor of the package, said Rocco Calo, the secretary and treasurer of Teamsters Local 1150.

“The main issue was the pension,” said Calo. “It was broke and we needed to fix it. We’re getting there.”

The contract calls for an increase in the pension from 40 to 45 dollars per week of service. It also includes the establishment of a supplemental pension fund that will pay workers up to 20 dollars per week for all future work, said Matt Broder, a spokesman for the helicopter manufacturer.

“We are the first division of UTC to have that,” said Calo. “It gives us the ability to enhance our pension in future years through two ends.”

The contract also includes a $1,000-per-worker ratification bonus, officials said.

“We are very pleased with the outcome of the vote,” Broder said. “It was a very good agreement. It’s the right outcome for everyone.”

The helicopter builder and the Teamsters Union reached agreement on the contract Friday night, hours after hundreds of employees walked out of work early as a show of support for negotiators.

Calo said the walkout was not sanctioned by the union, but was a spontaneous show of support for the negotiating team.

The union represents about 3,500 Sikorsky workers in Connecticut and about 100 in West Palm Beach, Fla., Calo said.

Sikorsky, a division of Hartford-based United Technologies Corp., builds military and civilian helicopters. Models include the Black Hawk and Comanche for the military and the S-76 and S-92 models for civilian, hospital and other uses.

–Associated Press