After being beaten 3-0 by Boston College on Jan. 19, the women’s ice hockey team found a way to get its revenge.

Sara Wood’s ’02 goal with just 39 seconds remaining in overtime led the Bulldogs (6-10-1, 2-5-0 ECAC-N) to a 3-2 victory over the Eagles (4-12-3) Saturday. The team was then defeated by No. 3 Northeastern (18-2-0) on Sunday by the score of 4-0.

Wood gathered a rebound in the slot of Kaitlin Porcaro’s ’03 shot from the point, putting it over the shoulder of Eagles goalie Lisa Davis for the game winner.

“We found the energy we needed to win,” said forward Deanna McDevitt ’03, who scored the Bulldog’s first goal against BC.

The Elis began the game well, scoring two goals early. At 8:58 of the first period, McDevitt stole a breakout pass and walked in alone, shooting from several feet out. The puck ricocheted in off the inside post to get the Bulldogs out to a 1-0 lead.

With 24 seconds remaining in the period, Wood scored the first of her two goals during a Yale power play, sliding the puck under Davis after Nicole Symington ’05 redirected an Erin Duggan ’05 shot.

“[Wood and McDevitt scored] probably the best goals of the whole weekend,” goaltender Nicolette Franck ’04 said.

After the team went 2-0, however, the Eagles came back, scoring consecutive goals. The teams remained tied for the rest of regulation.

In overtime, “it was all Yale,” according to Marchetti, with Wood eventually tallying the game winner, her 10th goal of the season.

As has been the trend this season, the already outnumbered Elis were playing with a bench further shortened by injuries. Kirsten Wick ’05 and Erica Hockinson ’03 were both out of the lineup, forcing the team to play the weekend with only four defensemen.

“Once again we faced a team that had a full bench and we had to go with 12 skaters,” Marchetti said. “[Goalie] Katie Hirte ’02 made some great stops for us.”

Hirte, who splits time with Franck, finished with 24 saves.

Sunday, the Elis faced a tougher challenge when they skated against Northeastern. The Huskies, ranked No. 3 in the nation, were able to skate four full lines, whereas the Elis did not even have three. McDevitt noted that the players on the team will have to continue to work on their conditioning in practice so they can withstand the added ice time during the games.

Despite the limited numbers, however, the team’s overall defense has been improving with time.

“The team as a whole is talking a lot more on the ice, playing smart positions, using the points, taking risks and harder shots, and altogether reducing the opponent’s screened shots, odd-man rushes and back-door plays,” Franck said.

Wood added that the team needs to continue to improve in that respect, however.

“As long as we recommit ourselves to our defensive zone coverage I think we’ll be fine, and we’ll be able to handle the rest of our schedule pretty well.”

Michelle Lorion scored 17:33 into the first period for the first of four Husky goals.

Lindsay Ball then tallied twice in the second period for NU, extending their lead to 3-0. That score remained until the final minute, when Kim Greene got the puck past Franck.

Franck finished the game with 36 saves.

“Yesterday’s loss to NU was probably one of the most hurtful losses of the season from my perspective, not because I or the team played poorly, but because we played well,” she said.

Marchetti agreed that the game was closer than the score indicated.

In the third period, The Bulldogs scored what they felt was a legitimate goal, but it was overturned when the officials ruled that the net came loose.

“The fact that the goal was disallowed was so frustrating,” said forward Wallis Finger ’04, who was involved in the play. “I think that if that goal had been allowed, that would have been a great turning point in the game, but it was just bad luck that the call did not go in our direction.”

Wood said that inconsistent play hurt Yale Sunday.

“We played well at times, but at other times we weren’t organized and didn’t stick to our game plan,” she said.

This weekend, the team will be home Friday to play Middlebury in a non-league game at 4:00 p.m. at Ingalls Rink before traveling to Princeton Sunday for a rematch with the Tigers. Earlier this season, the Elis fell 4-0 at home.

“If, when we play Princeton, we play as hard as we did against Northeastern, it will be a great game,” Finger said.