Before winter break, Suzannah Holsenbeck ’05 stepped on a mouse that had been living in the wall behind her bed. After vacation, she and her suitemates returned to find two dead pigeons in their Lanman-Wright common room. It seems Old Campus has had more than its share of pest problems since the beginning of the year, but students said recent services by Yale Pest Control are remedying the problem.

Yale recently signed a three-year service agreement with Yale Pest Control, a company unaffiliated with the University, according to a recent e-mail sent to Saybrook students. As part of the contract, the company will set bait stations for insects and mice every three months in rooms and common areas.

Yale Pest Control Representative Jim Miller said all the residential colleges have been treated once over break, paying special attention to the buildings with more complaints, like Saybrook. All Old Campus dorms were treated in early December.

“It’s looking pretty good at this point,” Miller said. “The calls are already way down and the contract only took effect on Jan. 1.”

Yale Pest Control uses grain-based rodenticides that take three to five days to work, Miller said.

Miller added that better sanitation in rooms would help to alleviate the rodent problem and allow the bait to work better.

“We are at a reactionary standpoint,” Miller said. “If food is stored better, the mice will have a lack of competition for a food source and will eat the bait.”

Students in Lanman-Wright reported that the bait stations are working. Holsenbeck thinks the bait stations have remedied the situation because, though pigeons trashed her common room over break, it has been a while since she has seen mice running around.

“Hopefully, it’s working,” she said. “The problem is that the bait can take a while and they don’t die immediately.”

Patti Balbas ’05 said she discovered a dead mouse in her Lanman-Wright room Tuesday and Morse Freshman Class Representative Antonio Daggett ’05 reported that bait traps have also remedied the mouse problem in Durfee. Earlier this year he collected a list of Morse freshmen with mice in their rooms so that he could inform the maintenance office.

“Now, the rodent problem is essentially gone,” Daggett said.

Morse freshman Andrew O’Connor said his suite had a mouse in it but that Yale Pest Control set up bait and he has not seen the mouse again.

Claire Hirschmann ’05 said that before vacation, rodents plagued her room.

“We noticed the problem when the mice gradually chewed a king size Kit Kat bar,” Hirschmann said. “One morning I heard scratching from one direction and saw another mouse in a different place.”