Two months after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, New Haven safety officials did their part to aid the families of their fallen colleagues.

On November 11th, a fund-raiser organized by New Haven public safety employees raised more than $11,000. The money will be given to the families of workers in New York’s uniformed services who were killed or injured on Sept. 11. The New Haven police and fire departments and Emergency Medical Response, the city’s ambulance service, sponsored the event.

Hundreds of public safety workers throughout greater New Haven attended the fund-raising event, called a “signal 4 party,” the police radio code for “officer needs assistance.” There was a ticket donation of $20 per person at the event, which included food, music, and a raffle.

“The event was well attended and a great success,” said NHPD spokesperson Judith Mongillo.

The money raised will be donated to the Twin Towers Fund. Established by New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, the fund assists, supports and recognizes the families of the members of the uniformed services of the New York City Fire Department and its Emergency Medical Services Command, the New York City Police Department, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the New York State Office of Court Administration and other government officials who lost their lives or were injured because of the Sept. 11 tragedies. If resources permit, the families of others who lost their lives or were injured during the attacks may also be included as beneficiaries.

As of last week, the fund has raised more than $85 million, with several celebrities, sports stars and organizations each donating over $1 million each.

Mongillo said the fund raiser featured a presentation of flags by New Haven’s Honor Guard, which includes fire department and the police department members. The Yale Glee Club followed with a presentation of several patriotic songs.

“This part of the program was both a somber moment, in remembrance of all those who gave their lives, United States citizens, foreigners, and public safety personnel,” Mongillo said.

New Haven’s public safety community has supported many efforts related to Sept. 11. They have given blood, supported a city-wide relief fund, made donations by payroll deduction, and have collected items required for the New York recovery initiative.

New Haven police Sergeant Kevin Costin said the benefit party was another way for protective services personnel in New Haven to help out those in need and publicly acknowledge the courage and sacrifice of the men and women who lost their lives.

“Our event [offered] a chance for people to come together to have some fun and at the same time contribute to an effort that will benefit a good cause,” he said.

Costin said he wants to remind people that although there have been many recent fund raising efforts, the families of the victims are still in need of support.

“The holiday season presents an additional challenge for those who have already suffered a great loss,” Costin said. “They need our help and support even more so during this time.”