The Art & Architecture Building was evacuated briefly Wednesday morning after chemical fumes were sucked into the ventilation system.
“Some workmen were putting down some polyurethane sealer outside the building, and it was sucked into the air handling system,” Yale Fire Marshal Michael Johns said.
After several people reported feeling ill, Johns said he ordered the building evacuated as a precaution. New Haven Fire Department units responded and helped to ventilate the premises.
“It took us a while to figure out what was causing the smell,” Johns said.
Witnesses said dozens of students stood outside the building after it was evacuated and that at least one class was cancelled as a result of the smell.
Fumes could still be smelled on York Street late into the night.
–Yale Daily News