Friday will feature six 8:30 a.m. speeches in various locations. Many of the Friday sessions repeat talks from last year’s DeVane lecture series.

1. Yale Law School Dean Anthony Kronman will present his “Democratic Soul” lecture in the Sterling Lecture Hall. The lecture discusses Plato’s “Republic” and its relationship to modern democracy.

2. Psychology professor Mahzarin Banaji will present her “Ordinary Prejudice” lecture in WLH 201. The lecture discusses everyday prejudices that confront us in a democracy, mostly relating to race and gender.

3. Cold War historian and Robert A. Lovett Professor of History John Gaddis will present his “Democracy and Foreign Policy” lecture in the Law School auditorium.

4. Yale College Dean Richard Brodhead will present his “Taking Democracy to School,” lecture in SSS 114. The lecture focuses on the expansion of meritocracy in our society and in our schools.

5. Sterling Professor of Law Bruce Ackerman will present his “The Death of Citizenship,” lecture at the McDougal Center. The lecture suggests initiatives the federal government could take to encourage civic participation.

6. William Nelson Cromwell Professor of Law Stephen Carter will present his “Can Religion Tolerate Democracy (and vice versa)?” lecture in Battell Chapel.

Capping off the Devane lectures, Larned Professor Emeritus of History Gaddis Smith will discuss “Yale, America, and the World 2001” from 10:15 a.m. until 11 a.m. in Woolsey Hall.

On Saturday, the scholarship turns to an examination of global perspective.

Former President of Mexico Ernesto Zedillo, Ph.D. ’81 will start the day off with an address on the topic at 10 a.m. in Woolsey Hall. Zedillo will discuss the next century’s world and challenges it poses for a global university.

From 10:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m., participants again choose from six sessions that provide perspective on global challenges.

1. Chairman of the Board of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston William C. Brainard and Sterling Professor Emeritus of Economics James Tobin will speak on “The ‘Moneys’ of Nations” in the Sterling Lecture Hall.

2. Director of the Yale Center for International and Area Studies Gustav Ranis and World Bank consultant T.N. Srinivasan, will speak on “Third World Growth, Poverty and Human Development” in WLH 201.

3. Dean of the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies James G. Speth and Environmental Law and Policy professor Daniel C. Esty will speak on “The Global Environment: Challenges and Response.”

4. Director of International Security Studies Paul Kennedy and assistant professor of history Mary Habeck will discuss “Sovereignty and National Security in a Borderless World” in Battell Chapel.

5. Dean of the School of Management Jeffrey Garten and professor of finance and economics Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes will speak on “After September 11: Short and Long Term Challenges to Business in the Global Economy.” in the Law School auditorium.

6. Chair of comparative literature Michael Holquist and professor of sociology Deborah Davis will discuss “Culture, Language and Community: Local/Global Interactions” in Law School 127.

After the six sessions end at 11:45 a.m., the next session, “Yale, America, and the World 2001,” will begin at noon in Woolsey Hall. Robin Winks, a Randolph W. Townsend Jr. Professor of History, will preside.

The tercentennial symposium culminates with an address on “Global Perspectives” by former President Bill Clinton from 3-4 p.m. on Cross Campus.

— Janine Hum and Elise Jordan