Men’s Basketball 10-17, 7-7 Ivy

There was a feeling at the start of the season that this could have been the men’s basketball team’s turn for a top Ivy ranking. The team even headed into its final weekend, which was filled with games, with the hopes of nabbing the Ivy title. But a number of disappointing, last-minute losses left Yale in fourth place in the Ivies. To fill in the holes of three top players who graduated in May, top high school players Edwin Drauhan ’05, Mark Lovett ’05 and Jerry Gauriloff ’05 will join the team.

Women’s Basketball 9-18, 4-10 Ivy

The women’s basketball season was one of close wins and near misses. Yale was competitive with every Ivy League opponent — evidenced by the fact that the Bulldogs lost seven games decided in overtime or by fewer than five points. Sophomores Helene Schutrumpf ’03 and Maria Smear ’03 led the team in scoring in 14 of its 27 games. The team looks to be in good shape for next year as it returns four starters from this year’s squad.

Gymnastics

The gymnastics team had a record-breaking season, led by Jennifer Gold ’03, Andrea Wolf ’03 and Jamie Green ’04. The team scored highly in every area they compete in — the vault, bars, beam and floor exercise — and won the Ivy League Championship. In March they left the ECACs thinking they’d won but were later notified that there had been an error in the scoring sheets and that they were actually second. Gold, Wolf and Green qualified as individuals for the NCAA regional championship and will still be at Yale next year to lead the team.

Fencing Men: 5-5, 1-3 Ivy; Women: 10-3, 3-2 Ivy

The fencing team began the season with high hopes for the championships but were held back by injuries and illnesses. The team finished ninth in the NCAA championships, when earlier in the season they’d hoped to be fifth. But the team’s top squad members are young and hope to return with a vengeance next year. Watch out for foil squad members Zane Selkirk ’04, Jennifer Joseph ’04 and Daniel Senft ’03; saberists Sophie Jones ’03, Sada Jacobson ’04 and Luke Ferreira ’02; and epee squad member Cameron Hill ’02.

Men’s Ice Hockey 14-14-1, 6-3-1 Ivy

The men’s ice hockey team roared out of the gates with road wins over No. 3 New Hampshire and eventual national champion No. 1 Boston College in the team’s first two games of the season. The season was a roller coaster ride after that, with the high points coming in a weekend sweep of Brown and Harvard just after winter break and two thrilling wins over Vermont and Dartmouth in the team’s final two home games. In the second period against Vermont, star forward Jeff Hamilton ’01 scored the 161st point of his illustrious career, putting him at the top of Yale’s all-time scoring list. Hamilton went on to be named a first team All-American and a Hobey Baker Finalist, despite the Elis’ early exit in the first round of the ECAC playoffs.

Women’s Ice Hockey 3-23-2, 1-9-0 Ivy

Even though the women’s hockey team ended their 12-year Ivy League losing streak with a 3-1 win over Princeton, the 2000-2001 season left a lot to be desired, as the Elis finished 12th of 13 teams in the ECAC. Captain Lisa Meyers ’01 led the explosive first line with 12 goals and 13 assists, while goalie Nicolette Franck ’04 made 512 saves in her rookie season.

Squash Men: 15-3,4-2 Ivy; Women: 7-5, 2-4 Ivy

Both teams fared very well nationally but missed the top spots in the Ivy League. The men’s team was extremely strong overall, beating nearly every team — even archrival Princeton. But a late loss to Harvard kept the team from nabbing the Ivy title. Yale men were second in the Ivies. Peter Grote ’02, Anshul Manchanda ’04, Aftab Mathur ’03, A.J. McCrery ’02, Alex Ende ’02 and Joe Cohen ’02 will still be around next year to keep the team strong. The women’s team ended fifth in the Ivies. Miriam Fishman ’02, Gina Wilkinson ’03 and Devon Dalzell ’04 will likely lead the team next year.

Swimming Men: 10-3, 6-3 Ivy; Women 10-2, 4-3 Ivy

Both the men and women’s teams had impressive 2000-2001 seasons. The women finished third at the Ivy League Championships, while the men followed suit at the EISL championship meet. Meredith Bryarly ’01 and men’s captain George Gleason ’01 led the Bulldog squads. Bryarly broke Yale records in the 50, 100 and 200-meter freestyles. Gleason, a 2000 Olympian, swam to 11th place and received All-American honors at the NCAA championships.