When I began writing my column for the Opinion-Editorial page two years ago, I vowed my writing would always be provocative, and a great many of you have responded to my words with your own comments of praise or scorn.

Let me begin by apologizing to any and all who may have been insulted or hurt by my opinions. Many times my partisan bent has made my own opinions seem more rigid and shrill than I might have liked.

My mother always tried to teach me the fundamental value of being able to disagree without being disagreeable, and if I have ever failed in this, I now apologize.

Nathaniel Hawthorne once said, “Cannot you conceive that another man may wish well to the world and struggle for its good on some plan than precisely that which you laid down?” Well, these are words we must all try to remember. The toxic nature of our contemporary political world demands we rise above the nasty rhetoric and bland platitudes of our age.

I would like to close by wishing my readers all the best. To the underclassmen of Yale, especially the freshmen, I urge each of you to cherish every moment of every day at this wonderful university. These truly are your bright college years. Live them to the fullest. And if you only remember one thing from my columns, remember to never give up, never give in and never stop fighting the good fight.

Jim DiTullio is a senior in Jonathan Edwards College.