Yale police officers apprehended a man carrying burglar’s tools and a stolen laptop from the epidemiology and public health building Monday.

Police responded to the EPH building at the School of Medicine around 11:15 a.m. after receiving a report of a suspicious man who refused to identify himself walking around the building.

Based on the description of the man, officers tracked down and positively identified Bridgeport resident Steven Forgacs, 48, as he walked south on South Frontage Road. Police said Forgacs was carrying a blue bag containing a Dell laptop computer, as well as a clock, scraper, Allen wrench and an L-shaped metal bar.

Forgacs took the computer from an open office inside the EPH building, Yale Police Chief James Perrotti said, but the owner of the clock has not yet been identified.

Police charged Forgacs with third-degree burglary, second-degree larceny and possession of burglary tools.

“One of the nice things is that often there’s a series of thefts before someone realizes that someone is working the area,” Perrotti said. “In this case, this was the first theft.”

Perrotti said Forgacs is a repeat offender and has had frequent contact with police in other jurisdictions.

Biker teens assault two

Yale police are looking for a group of juveniles responsible for two recent cycle-by assaults.

Local teenagers on bicycles are relatively frequent visitors to the Yale campus and are sometimes responsible for disruptive behavior, but Perrotti said they stepped over the line on at least two recent occasions.

At about 8:43 p.m. Tuesday, an officer noticed a “visibly upset” man on the New Haven Green. The man said he had been approached by approximately five teenagers on small bicycles who began yelling at him and punched him in the face without provocation, damaging his eyeglasses and injuring him slightly.

Minutes later, a Yale undergraduate on Wall Street reported to police that a group of teenage cyclists had approached him from behind and that one had spit on him. When the student “made a comment,” the group stopped and surrounded him, Perrotti said.

One teen punched the student in the month before the group fled, slightly injuring the student, police said.

Perrotti said officers had spoken with a group of bicycling teenagers who may have been responsible for the incidents.

“I think the word is out this kind of behavior will not be tolerated,” he said.

Students streak Law School party

Police responded to a dance in the Yale Law School last Friday after it was disrupted by a group of naked people.

A Yale officer hired to work at the dance called in his on-duty colleagues when the students appeared at about 9:58 p.m.

Police detained the streakers with the assistance of officials and staff from the Law School, determined they were undergraduates and cited them with infractions.

“They claimed they hadn’t seen each other for a while and just decided to run around without their clothes,” Perrotti said.