The men’s and women’s track teams had mixed results this weekend at the Indoor Heptagonal Championships at Harvard University.

The women’s team racked up 88 points with several strong individual finishes to bring home third place, only 32 points behind first-place Brown. Meanwhile, the men placed seventh in their meet with 42.5 points. Princeton took first with 118 points.

Yale’s senior women led the team with strong, consistent performances.

“The seniors in general were absolutely outstanding,” head coach Mark Young said.

Specifically, he pointed to Yetsa Tuakli-Wosomu ’01, who placed third in the triple jump and set a Yale record in the process.

“She came up huge,” he said. “She scored 20 of our 88 points.”

Tuakli-Wosomu also came home fourth in the 60-meter dash, capping a strong weekend for her.

Yale’s sole first-place finisher was Melanie Harris ’01, who won the women’s weight throw and beat her own meet record by a foot and a half. Harris also broke the school record with the throw.

Jennifer Newsom ’01 grabbed fourth in the 200-meter dash, and Emily Estey ’01 was third in the 800-meter run. Other Bulldog bright spots included senior Kathleen Rigney’s third-place finish in the mile run and the twin sister act of Kate and Laura O’Neill ’03 finishing fourth and fifth in the 3,000-meter run, respectively. Katherine LaFrance ’01 was third in the 5,000-meter run.

Young was more than satisfied.

“We scored in all running events except one,” he said. “This is the best team performance we’ve had in 13 or 14 years.”

The men were not as consistent, and that contributed to their seventh-place finish, though they, too, had individual bright spots.

Anthony Thomas ’03 won the long jump, with a mark just under 23 and a half feet, though he was somewhat disappointed.

“I was really motivated and fired up, but I really didn’t jump as well as I wanted to,” he said. “Everyone seemed to jump shorter than they wanted to, though, so maybe it was just the facilities. My goal was to be over 24 feet.”

Despite his modest disappointment at not reaching his goal, he was satisfied in helping the team.

“I was glad to win and get points for the team, because that’s what its all about,” Thomas said.

The men’s mile relay team consisting of captain Jason Rife ’01 and juniors Tom Stout, Thomas Hocker and Don Carson snagged first in the event with a time of 3:16.22.

Next up for both teams are the IC4As at Northeastern, which are geared more toward individual performances, whereas the Heptagonals were more about the team.

“The IC4A’s are not so much about overall team points as individuals doing well in one event,” Young said.

Because of this, Thomas is looking forward to competing.

“I want to go out there, jump 24 feet, which has been my goal all season, and have some fun before spring break,” he said.