A forklift and a dressing room don’t often add up to much.

But, for the Yale College Council, a construction loader and a primping room have added up to Ben Harper on Yale’s Old Campus.

The folksy rock musician agreed to play at Yale’s Spring Fling April 22 only if the YCC could find him a forklift to move his concert lights and sound equipment and a dressing room to chill in. Spring Fling Chair Joey Lee ’03 said she has secured the two contingencies and expects Harper will soon sign the Spring Fling contract.

“They’ve told me what I need, and I’ve gotten it,” Lee said. “I guess in the business world nothing is definite until it’s in paper. The fact is that they’ve said yes.”

Lee said she hoped the deal will be finalized before Spring Break.

Harper, who has released three CDs and has one on the way, is best known for his 1995 hit song “Burn One Down.” He played at New Haven’s Palace Theater last year.

A spokesman from Harper’s agency, Select Artist’s Services, would not say a few weeks ago whether Harper would come to Yale, but did say Harper would be working April 22.

Harper has been playing at other colleges recently, including Dartmouth and Wake Forest.

Lee said she thought Harper will be a nice change from past years’ bands, such as Wyclef Jean, Rusted Root and the Indigo Girls.

“I’m really excited because I really do honestly think this is going to be something different from anything we’ve had before,” Lee said. “Everyone says he’s amazing in concert.”

Lee said she was anxious to finalize the main act so that she could work on other aspects of the event including student bands and rides.

Harper will be playing just hours after the conclusion of Yale’s second Tercentennial weekend, which is geared toward alumni. The Yale administration worked with the YCC in attempts to recruit groups that topped students polls, such as the Dave Matthews Band, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Barenaked Ladies. When those groups fell through in late January, the YCC took over the reins.