A Day at the News

9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.: News reporters and photographers spend the day collecting news and taking photos.

6:15 p.m.: The editorial board gathers at nightly “doping” meetings to decide what stories will be on the next day’s front page. The final decision about story placement is based on a number of factors, including the relevance of the story to the Yale community, the availability of photos or other graphics, the frequency and placement of the News’ past coverage of the topic, and the quality of the final article. The top four articles that day are placed on page one, with the rest falling inside the paper.

7 p.m.: Reporter deadline. By this point, all reporters have filed their copy for the evening.

9 p.m.: Desk editor deadline. Reporters have finished working with their desk editors to perfect the stories.

9 p.m.-1 a.m.: The copy editors review each story to ensure that it conforms to our newspaper’s style guide, and the designers are hard at work laying out the pages. The managing editors read over the next day’s content to assure the quality and accuracy of everything that will be published.

3 a.m.: Final deadline (but it never takes this long). The paper must be final copied and sent to our printer in Waterbury, Conn., by this time in order for the paper to be delivered before breakfast that morning.