A cartoon takeover at the Oscars

How far has animation come in only a few years? It used to be that (somewhat) self-respecting adults who wanted a break from looking at real people all the time got one of three things: Bart Simpson, Peter Griffin, or Eric Cartman. But this year’s box office has been swept by animation. From the tear-jerking first five minutes of Disney-Pixar’s “Up,” we were hooked.

The Academy Awards will now have to consider a record 20 animated films and pick five to be nominated for the category of “Best Animated Feature Film.” Contenders may include “Up,” “Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs,” “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” “Ponyo,” and “Coraline.”

Still, if you thought Wes Anderson’s wierdly indie “Fantastic Mr. Fox” was a stretch, think again. Eddie Murphy will star in an R-rated flick called “The Misadventures of Fluffy.” He’ll be walking across the state of New York with his animated woodland friends. Think Harold & Kumar meets Cinderella’s friends … gone horribly wrong.

Something tells me Murphy won’t be thanking the Academy for this one.

• Reuben Barrientes

I literally feel like I’m the only person on Earth who feels the word “cartoon” is demeaning to comics and animation.

See the connotation in the very first sentence: “how far has *animation* come…” Exactly–there has been development over time such that what exists presently is not what did or was possible in the primitive past, assuming serious effort when into the modern product.

Mickey Mouse is a cartoon.
    Pixar is animation.