Fox Sports scales Ivory Towers, feasts on blood of undergraduate nerds

<a href="http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&amp;brand=foxsports&amp;from=metadatawidget_en-us_foxpsorts_videocentral&amp;vid=947dabb6-af09-487a-b2fc-abdd000ad01f" onclick="javascript:_gaq.push(['_trackEvent','outbound-article','http://video.msn.com']);" target="_new" title="College Experiment: Nerd Bowl">Video: College Experiment: Nerd Bowl</a>

When two Ivy League powerhouses assembled last weekend for their 126th annual football game (ranked the sixth fiercest rivalry in college sports, according to a Web site), Fox Sports was on the scene.

But the tables have now turned, and scene is on the Fox Sports. Powerhouses atop powerhouses.

In an unprecedented feat of journalistic integrity and investigative rigor, Fox Sports managed to strip both Yale and Harvard of any remaining dignity. In order to do so, reporter Bob Oschack spent last weekend at the Harvard-Yale tailgate in New Haven. The result was an aggressively abrasive and at times hilarious Internet-only video titled “Geeks Gone Wild.” Forever exposed is the woeful underbelly of two of America’s favorite universities. Embarrassments abound.

Early in the video, Oschack offers fleeting glimpses of numerous nerdy-but-prominent Yale and Harvard students, such as Yale Precision Marching Band drum major Kate Kraft ’10. But the camera lingers most lovingly over Inar Zhang ’13, whom Oschack brands “ASIAN WITH A SWEDISH NAME GEEK.”

Then, in what could be called the emotional climax of “Geeks Gone Wilds” (2:40), Oschack seeks to determine whether or not Sigma Alpha Epsilon member Jules Terrien ’12, a self-proclaimed Frenchmen, is a geek.

A Socratic line of inquiry is the method of choice:

“You’re French? How do you say toilet in French?” Oschack asks.

“Toilette,” Terrien responds.

“In high school did you ever have your head stuck in the toilette?,” Oschack responds.

The frame freezes, and “FRENCH GEEK!” slams down on Terrien’s frozen face.

The result is devastating.

Public response to the video on the Internet, however, has been mixed. Friends and supporters of Zhang and Terrien reached out over Facebook, some to congratulate, some to sympathize, others to chastise. One student wrote on Zhang’s wall, “the video is too f—ing great”; another prodded, “…youre the star of the show, i just finished watching it.”

At press time, the video had garnered 11 comments and eight “likes” on Terrien’s wall.

Fox Sports is a division of Fox News, which, in turn, is owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation. Murdoch’s second and current wife, Wendi Deng Murdoch, is the chief strategist for MySpace China and a graduate of Yale School of Management, where she serves on the Board of Advisors.

• YDNFan

Far better coverage of this story than the Crimson! Witty.

• good god

This is obnoxious and mildly offensive. Partially in good fun, but also extenuating immature stereotypes. Not that I’d expect anything with good thoughtful humor from Fox “News…”

• Evan

Anti-intellectualism at its worst. Not that I would have expected anything different from Fox.

• Gatsby

Sissies. I thought it was hilarious.

• please

get over it, this bit was funny. just because some people at yale take themselves too seriously (and also somehow delude themselves to think they are so much cooler than harvard people) doesn’t mean that this wasn’t funny. also, it wasn’t meant to be intellectual so….not the greatest comeback.

• Evan

mr. please, what i meant by anti-intellectualism was oschack’s attitude of scorn towards intelligence/intellectuality. it’s essentially the same attitude as the insecure douches and bullies and popular types from middle school and high school. it’s astonishingly disrespectful by global standards…in most other countries, the brightest are looked up to. while i’m sure that there are ways that we take ourselves too seriously, i think fox crosses some lines here, e.g. suggesting that what appears to be a happy couple is pathetic because of a shared interest in debate, that intelligent women would be expected to be unattractive, or that a 4.49 is anything other than an impressive model of excellence that peers could learn from. anti-intellectualism is a big part of why 60% of young American adults can’t locate Iraq on a map, and why a certain recent candidate for VP bought into conspiracy theories about “death panels”, and why the US places so far behind most developed countries in standardized test scores.

• Evan

also, that french guy? not only does the video not show his response (which was probably “no, why?”), but it misses the point.

if he *was* physically abused in high school then it reflects quite a bit worse on his classmates than it does on him.