To me, tailgating means the smoky smell of slabs of meat on the grill. To others, it means the anticipation of an important sports event. And to most, it means having an excuse to drink during the day. The following recipes are meant to be enjoyed at any of the Game tailgates, by all sorts of tailgaters. Below you’ll find an oozy blue cheese-stuffed sausage burger (an exciting twist on your standard beef burger) and a simple, tangy dip of charred and puréed red peppers. (Deeper meaning: we’re going to char and pulverize Harvard.) Or if you’re only interested in getting your drank on, enjoy the Bulldog, a delightfully blue cocktail that will fill you with Yale spirit and spirits.

Blue cheese-stuffed chicken sausage burger

2 lb. ground chicken

1 tbsp. fennel seeds

1 tbsp. vegetable oil

2 tbsp. minced garlic

1 tsp. dried rosemary

1 red onion, finely chopped

1 small red onion, finely chopped

12 oz. blue cheese

4 hamburger buns

salt

pepper

Turn on the grill or skillet. Gently mix first seven ingredients in a large bowl. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Divide meat mixture into eight equal patties. In a separate bowl, crumble the cheese, form into four patties, and place one cheese patty on each of the four chicken patties. Top with the remaining four chicken patties, pinching the edges under to seal in the cheese. Put burgers on grill or skillet. Cook for four minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Lightly toast buns on the grill, if you’d like. Put burgers in buns and enjoy.

Charred red pepper dip

4 red bell peppers

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 garlic cloves, peeled

Juice of one lemon

2 cups crumbled feta

Optional: parsley, pine nuts

Char peppers directly over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Take off heat and let cool. Peel, seed and quarter peppers. Purée peppers, oil, garlic, lemon juice and cheese in processor. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley and toasted pine nuts, if desired. Serve with pita chips, vegetables or any other dip-able foods.

The Bulldog

5 oz. lemon juice

1 3/4 oz. Bulldog Gin (or standard gin)

3/4 oz. Blue Curacao

3/4 oz. Grand Marnier

Pour Bulldog Gin, Grand Marnier, Blue Curacao and lemon juice into a shaker. Shake and strain into a tall glass over ice. Garnish with a lemon slice.

Note: Curaçao is a liqueur flavored with the dried peels of citrus fruit. It has an orange-like and slightly bitter flavor. Its blue color is not natural, but is added to give it an exotic appearance.

For more Harvard-Yale coverage, visit yaledailynews.com/thegame.