As this semester commences, and fashion statements are made, one cannot help but ask the ever-unanswered question: Are heels appropriate to wear to class?

The idea is actually completely foreign to me since I, standing at six feet tall, have no reason to sport a heel when crossing the campus. But I do believe that the right person can pull off any look. I have therefore compiled this list of guidelines for wearing heels on campus (apart from, of course, your biweekly visit to Toads and Viva’s, followed by SAE Late Night or a costume party):

—You are no taller than 5 feet 5 inches.

—Boots with the heels (and/or the fur).

—Your style is generally vintage.

—You’re straight up ballin’.

The question then becomes what type of heels you are wearing. For example, strappy sandal heels are, for obvious reasons, a hazardous choice. Closed-toe pumps or round-toe heels are certainly a better selection, but one cannot forget the awful cracks in the ground that can impede one’s motion. It therefore seems that wedges or heeled boots are practical for getting from class to class. The last option minimizes one’s tendency to wear socks with heels to avoid the cold which is, at the very least, a bizarre look. Also, do not forget that overly pointy toes or over-the-top materials can lead to the less-than-decent aesthetic — a look I am certain no Yale student wants to sport. On behalf of your fellow students, I ask that you not walk to class in black patent leather, pointy-toe heels that lace up the front and back with pink leather laces. The most tasteful combinations are often inspired by the flirty ’40s with a full skirt, A-line trench and round-toe heels. If you’re going more for the sophisticated look, try wide-leg dark wash denim trousers with a turtleneck, long white coat and pumps. Watch out for Michael Kors and Marc by Marc Jacobs in the Spring ’09 season for key examples of shoe-do’s.

Whatever your decision, just be sure to own it. Nothing is worse than a teetering girl in the snow.