RB Alan Lamar ’20 to miss 2017 with injury

By Matthew Stock | Posted on, 1:35 p.m.
Lamar earned second-team All-Ivy honors as a rookie last season. (Matthew Stock)

In a Tuesday press conference, Yale football head coach Tony Reno and captain Spencer Rymiszewski ’18 spoke of a new season and new hopes for the Yale football team. But the Bulldogs’ optimism towards 2017 did not come without an unsavory slice of déjà vu — for the second year in a row, Reno announced a season-ending injury to one of Yale’s most prominent contributors from a season ago.

After rushing for 557 yards and five touchdowns en route to a second-team All-Ivy nod in his rookie campaign, running back Alan Lamar ’20 will miss the entire 2017 season due to an injury sustained in preseason practice, Reno announced at Tuesday’s conference. Lamar made his first career start against Penn in Week 5 of 2016 and served as the Bulldogs’ primary ball carrier for the second half of the season.

Running back Deshawn Salter ’18, who rushed for less than half of Lamar’s total in an injury-interrupted season, will start for the Elis in Week 1 against Lehigh. Salter turned in a career performance against the Mountain Hawks as a sophomore when he rushed for 233 yards and a pair of touchdowns in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

He will be joined in the Week 1 backfield by running back Zane Dudek ’21, who has turned heads in preseason with his power and athleticism, according to Reno and several players.