Souliotis, Murray drafted into the National Women’s Hockey League

By Jane Miller | Posted on, 4:11 p.m.
Defender Mallory Souliotis ’18 was picked No. 8 overall by the Boston Pride in the 2017 NWHL Draft. (Yale Daily News)

On Thursday, August 17, two members of the Yale women’s hockey team were selected in the 2017 National Women’s Hockey League draft. The Boston Pride picked defender Mallory Souliotis ’18 in the second round, and her teammate, forward Eden Murray ’18, was selected by the Connecticut Whale with the following pick.

Souliotis has been a key member of the Yale women’s hockey team since she first skated onto the ice as a freshman in the fall of 2014. In addition to playing in 26 games for the Bulldogs, the Massachusetts native also tallied nine total points in her rookie season and earned the Wendy Blaming Award for the most improved player.

The improvements in Souliotis’ level of play only increased during her sophomore year when she led Yale’s team in total points, scoring four goals and adding an incredible 21 assists for a total 24 points on the season. During her junior campaign, Souliotis helped the Elis to their highest ECAC conference finish in recent years before top-ranked St. Lawrence swept the Elis in the quarterfinals of the ECAC tournament.

The No. 9 nine draft pick Murray hails from a family of talented athletes. Her three older sisters played hockey at Cornell, Yale and McGill, respectively, but Murray has not been outshone. In fact, she has only continued to bolster her already impressive hockey resume since becoming a Bulldog in 2014.

Before arriving in New Haven, Murray not only played for and captained the U18 Team Alberta squad, but was also a member of the Alberta gold medal–winning team in the 2011 Canada Winter Olympics. As a senior in high school at the Edge School of Athletes, Murray led her team in both points and assists and subsequently captained them to a national runner-up title in the Junior Women’s Hockey League during the 2013 season.

During her opening season at Yale, Murray appeared in 29 games, scoring a total of 15 points. Her talent on the ice garnered her national attention, as she was named ECAC Rookie of the Week for the week of Feb. 17, 2015. At the conclusion of her sophomore season, Murray landed herself second on the team in both points and assists with 23 and 16, respectively. In the 2016–17 season, Murray scored 29 points, tying teammate and former captain Krista Yip-Chuck ’17 to lead the team in combined goals and assists.

Both the Ivy League and the ECAC were heavily represented in the 2017 draft. Hockey powerhouses St. Lawrence and Quinnipiac each had players selected in the top three, with St. Lawrence’s Kennedy Marchment picked second overall and Quinnipiac’s Taylar Cianfarano picked third. Fellow Ivies Brown and Harvard also had team members selected for the NWHL; Brown’s Sam Donovan will join Murray on the Connecticut Whale while the Crimson’s Lexie Laing is set to become Souliotis’ teammate on the Pride.

As both players head into their final season playing as Bulldogs, their respective future teams will be watching and waiting for the newest recruits to continue their time on the ice in the NWHL after graduation.