Three-star recruit for Princeton fuels Ivy League summer momentum

By Matthew Mister | Posted on, 10:06 p.m.
The Tigers won the Ivy League title in 2016 with a 6–1 conference record. (Yale Athletics)

Christmas came five months early for the Princeton football team as three-star quarterback Brevin White announced his commitment to the Tigers on Tuesday.

White, who is the No. 193 prospect in the class of 2018 according to ESPN, chose the Ivy League over several Power-Five schools. The Lancaster, California native and rising senior at Paraclete High School had offers from Arizona State, Oregon State, Tennessee and Utah.

“I get to fulfill my dream of playing college football while getting to be at one of the top universities in the world,” White posted on Twitter.

White is the highest-ranked prospect to commit to play in the Ancient Eight since ESPN first started scouting players in 2009. The Bristol, Connecticut–based network ranks as White the No. 11 pocket passer in the nation.

Yale landed a four-star recruit in 2013, when linebacker Victor Egu ’17 announced he would take his talents to New Haven. Egu, the No. 22-ranked outside linebacker in the country coming out of high school, originally committed to California, but reopened his search after a coaching shakeup in Berkeley. Egu recorded 148 tackles during his collegiate career, including seven in Yale’s season-ending victory over Harvard this past November.

Head coach Tony Reno wasted no time bringing in another elite recruit following Egu’s graduation, as running back Trenton Charles  announced his commitment to Yale’s class of 2022 on July 13. Rivals.com, which gave White four stars, listed Charles as a three-star recruit. Charles hails from Baton Rouge, Louisiana and turned down offers from Power-Five programs Arizona, Arizona State, Northwestern and TCU.

“I feel like this decision is not only is the best choice for the next four years, but also the next 40 years of my life,” Charles tweeted as he announced his commitment.

Arriving on campus in 2018, Charles will have two years to tag-team with 2016 second-team All-Ivy running back Alan Lamar ’20 for potentially the most lethal one-two backfield punch in the Ivy League.

Reno’s pitch to recruits got even sweeter this summer as Niche.com ranked Yale the No. 19 Best College for Student Athletes and the top ranked Ivy school. Yale has two three-star recruits coming to New Haven this fall, with offensive lineman Tyler Jost ’21 and linebacker A. J. Ryan ’21 highlighting the Bulldogs’ incoming freshman class.