No. 1 Oregon State trounces Yale in wire-to-wire rout

The Bulldogs will play Holy Cross in an elimination game on Sunday at 4 p.m. ET. (Kaitlyn Gibbons)

The Yale baseball team sent a message to its doubters on Friday when it cruised to a 5–1 win over the Big Ten regular-season champion Nebraska in the first round of the Corvallis regional. The Bulldogs’ next opponent, NCAA No. 1 Oregon State, proved why it has virtually no doubters at all in a wire-to-wire domination on its home field Saturday night.

The Beavers began the hit parade against starter Eric Brodkowitz ’18 with a home run just three batters into the game and kept the caravan moving throughout the evening, amassing 16 hits in the 11–0 rout. The scoring outburst was 10 runs more than necessary for the Beavers’ Pac-12 Pitcher of the Year Luke Heimlich and reliever Sam Tweedt, who together spotted the Bulldogs just two hits and teamed up for 11 strikeouts.

Oregon State’s two-run first, two-run third and one-run fourth innings provided merely a prelude for a symphony of offense in the sixth inning, where the Beaver lineup consisting of eight All–Pac-12 honorees batted around to convert six hits into an additional six runs.

When all was said and done, five Beavers had recorded multi-hit games and seven had driven in runs, as the offense responsible for 49 regular-season wins capitalized on nearly every Yale pitching gaffe. Brodkowitz, Tyler Duncan ’18, Sam Boies ’19 and Drew Scott ’18 labored through a combined 173 pitches while enduring constant pressure in every at-bat.

Not to be upstaged by his teammates in the batter’s box, Heimlich was as clinical as he has been all season on the mound. Entering the Corvallis regional with a mind-boggling, Division I–leading 0.81 ERA, the southpaw toyed with Yale hitters throughout his 88-pitch outing. Second baseman Alex Stiegler ’20 and captain and third baseman Richard Slenker ’17 were the only Bulldogs to collect hits against Heimlich, and the Bulldogs managed to push just two runners into scoring position on the night.

Despite being comprehensively silenced on Saturday night, the Bulldogs’ tournament hopes still flicker thanks to the regional’s double-elimination format. Yale will play Holy Cross in a win-or-go-home matchup on Sunday at 4 p.m. ET with a rematch with the Beavers looming for the victor.

Saturday’s full box score can be found here.