Bulldogs place seventh at NCAA Championship

By Will Horvath | Posted on, 6:27 p.m.
The Bulldogs recorded the highest finish of any Ivy League team at the 2017 National Championships. (Laura Simon)

The No. 9 Yale women’s crew placed seventh at the NCAA Championships in West Windsor, New Jersey, marking their strongest finish at the competition since 2010 when they placed sixth.

The Varsity Eight made its first appearance at the Grand Final in seven years, and finished sixth with a time of 6:48.634. A trio of Pac–12 schools paced the race, with Washington (6:36.939) leading the way followed by Stanford (6:38.520) and California (6:40.069). Texas and Michigan followed in fourth and fifth, respectively. The win in the Grand Final clinched a historic sweep for the Huskies, which became the first school ever to win all three Grand Finals at the same NCAA Championship.

Amy Warner ’18, Schuyler Ritchie ’17, captain Kate O’Brien ’17, Alison Nordell ’18, Ella von der Schulenburg ’20, Daisy Mazzio-Manson ’20, Marybeth Swords ’18, stroke Lily Lindsay ’18 and coxswain Sara Lee ’17 rowed for the Elis’ Varsity Eight that finished highest among Ivy League schools.

The Varsity Four and Second Varsity Eight each finished eighth in their respective divisions.

Bow Alexia Rojas ’20, Kate Flanders ’18, Sera Bulbul ’19, stroke Kate Horvat ’18, and Coxswain Anisa Iqbal ’19 made up the Varsity Four, which finished second behind Wisconsin in the Petite Final. The Bulldogs (7:27.617) finished behind the Badgers (7:26.277) by a little more than a second. Stanford, Virginia, Syracuse and Iowa followed in that order.

Rowing for the Second Varsity Eight, bow Sophie Deans ’18, Meg Galloway ’18, Julia Sesler ’18, Victoire Lienau ’19, Olivia Maclean ’17, Arwen Neski ’19, Margaret Saunders ’20, stroke Lydia Keating ’17 and coxswain Jessica Michaels ’18 finished a little more than a second behind Texas (6:48.403) with a time of 6:49.793 in the Petite Final. Stanford, Princeton, Syracuse and Virginia followed in that order. The Second Varsity Eight was racing for the fourth time in three days, as they had won the repechage on Friday after finishing third in their heat earlier in the day.

The Bulldogs will graduate only four rowers and one coxswain from their boats that rowed this weekend.