Women win second national title in three years

By Selena Cho | Posted on, 4:24 p.m.

The Yale women’s sailing team took home the Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association’s Women’s National Championship title on Friday, May 26 after three days of racing.

Yale traveled to Charleston Harbor to compete against the top 17 teams across the nation, all of whom advanced to the finals after two preceding days of semifinal racing for the Gerald C. Miller Trophy and Sperry Women’s National Championship title. The Bulldogs bested all 17 teams to reclaim their second national title in three years, following their victory in Rhode Island in 2015. This year’s hard-fought national title marks an impressive comeback for the Eli squad, as they wrapped up last year’s season in fifth place.

Seven Bulldogs comprised the Yale team: crews Natalya Doris ’17, captain Claire Huebner ’18 and Isabelle Rossi de Leon ’17 and skippers Casey Klingler ’18, Chrissie Klingler ’20, KB Knapp ’18 and Louisa Nordstrom ’20.

After advancing from national semifinals in first place with 61 points, the Yale women’s team maintained its first-place position throughout both days of finals racing. Ten races took place across the A and B Divisions on the first day of finals. The Bulldogs concluded their first day in first place with 98 points, besting the most challenging wind conditions of the championship, as well as skilled competitors, particularly Boston College and defending national champion U.S. Coast Guard Academy. The second day of finals featured eight races in both divisions. The Bulldogs came out on top with 185 points, followed by Boston College and Coast Guard with 208 and 259 points, respectively.

All but two of the Bulldogs on the nationals team will return next year. The Yale squad bids goodbye to nationals team members Doris and Rossi de Leon, but looks forward to furthering its success, encouraged by promising performances from current freshmen.