Mary Ann Santucci ’18 named 2017–18 captain

By Won Jung | Posted on, 2:32 p.m.
The Bulldogs finished sixth place in the Ivy League for the second straight season in 2016–17. (Clara Mokri)

On the heels of a breakout junior campaign, guard Mary Ann Santucci ’18 was voted as the next captain of the Yale women’s basketball team by her teammates. 2016–17 captain and forward Elizabeth Haley ’17 who is on track to graduate this May, will pass down the honors to the rising senior.

Santucci started all but one game for head coach Allison Guth this past season after starting just a single game in 2015–16. The Seattle native will be one of the more experienced players on next year’s team, having averaged over 20 minutes per game in each of her first three seasons.

The point guard burst onto the scene as a freshman and started 21 games in her first season before being relegated to the bench for most of her sophomore campaign. Still, Santucci was able to contribute as a reserve and nearly mirrored her freshman year production. Her most impressive season to date was this most recent one, as she averaged career highs in points per game, field-goal percentage and three-point percentage.

Santucci will be called upon next season to lead a Yale team that is on the rise in the Ivy League. After finishing sixth in the conference for the past two seasons, the Bulldogs will look to qualify for the Ivy Tournament next year behind Santucci’s leadership.

“I think [the transition to becoming captain] should be pretty natural,” Santucci said. “I like to think I’ve been a leader my whole life playing sports, so hopefully it’ll be an easy an easy transition. I’ll definitely make a more conscious effort just in terms of organizational and logistical things, not only during games but also outside of that being more of a leader.”

Santucci also served as the captain for her Seattle Prep high school team as a senior.