Kaitlin Gately ’18 named 2017–18 captain

By Joey Kamm | Posted on, 11:29 a.m.
Gately scored her first two careers in back-to-back games this January. (Schirin Rangnick)

Forward Kaitlin Gately ’18 was named captain of the Yale women’s hockey team for the 2017–18 season on Tuesday. The Hingham, Mass. native appeared in 30 of 31 games for the Bulldogs this season and will replace outgoing captain and forward Krista Yip-Chuck  ’17.

Gately will be one of eight seniors on next season’s squad alongside defender Kara Dexler ’18, forward Emily Monaghan ’18, forward Eden Murray ’18, defender Mallory Souliotis ’18, forward Courtney Pensavalle ’18, forward Brittany Wheeler ’18 and defender Grace Wickens ’18. Gately has been a regular contributor for Yale since her freshman season, in which she appeared in 27 games.

Gately received ECAC Hockey All-Academic honors in each of the last two seasons and was one of the Bulldogs’ most disciplined skaters in 2016–17, having accumulated just four total penalty minutes despite her significant ice time. Before coming to Yale, she helped lead U19 Tier 1 and U16 Tier 1 Assabet Valley teams to gold medals at the 2012 and 2013 USA National Championshops.

The Bulldogs finished seventh in the ECAC this past season, tallying 18 total points in 22 conference games.