Elis prevail in Ivy opener

Seven Bulldogs scored goals in the opening half as Yale cruised to a 17–8 home win. (Yale Athletics)

Conference play gives every team a chance to reset, regardless of how it started its season. Winner of just two of its first five games, the Yale men’s lacrosse team needed an opportunity to turn the page as it hosted Cornell to start its Ivy campaign.

The Bulldogs (3–3, 1–0 Ivy) got what they needed in a 17–8 victory over the Big Red (0–5, 0–1). Yale put 30 shots on goal in the high-scoring shootout, took the lead just three seconds into the contest and never looked back.

The Bulldogs had a 7–3 lead going into halftime with seven different Elis tallying a goal in the first 30 minutes. Yale’s offense distributed the ball as well as it had all season to generate open shots throughout the game. However, Cornell goalie Christian Knight kept the Big Red in the game in the first half, making eight saves to keep his team just four goals off the lead heading into halftime.

Both teams were sloppy in the first half, combining for 14 turnovers. The faceoff X proved the difference for the Bulldogs, who won nine of 14 draws.

Coming out of the locker room for the second half, Yale found itself in a similar place as last weekend, when the Bulldogs watched a five-goal halftime lead disappear before defeating Fairfield in double overtime. Attacker Ben Reeves ’18 prevented a similar collapse on Saturday, scoring three of his four goals in the third quarter.

Yale kept the Big Red at bay on the other end as goalie Brody Wilson settled in late in his second collegiate start. The freshman made five saves after just three in the first half.

Reeves led the Elis with four goals while adding two assists. Despite being held scoreless, midfielder Eric Scott ’17 tallied five assists.

The Bulldogs travel to Princeton on Friday for a 2 p.m. opening faceoff against the Tigers.