AmandaBuckingham_Library-3

After commencement, students, faculty and other patrons of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library will not be able to step foot in the building for 16 months. Because the library is being renovated, its nexus will temporarily shift to Sterling Memorial Library, to be housed in the Franke Family Reading Room in Sterling Memorial Library.

The renovation plans are extensive, including a new heating, ventilation and air conditioning system, increased security and fire protection, expanded classroom space and a refurbishment of the Beinecke’s exterior and sunken courtyard. The library’s “retro” heating and ventilation systems haven’t been replaced since they were originally installed in the 1960s, public relations manager Mike Cummings said.

Though the Beinecke has been readying itself for renovation for months, it is now in its final phase of preparations. In mid-April, the effort to move all manuscripts from the library’s glass stacks tower to the building’s basement began in earnest. Cummings said the tower should be emptied by early May.

The Beinecke’s staff is also in the process of relocating for the renovation. In mid-April, the library’s technical services department made a permanent move to 344 Winchester Ave., which includes newly renovated space for the treatment of library materials.

Curators will operate in Sterling Memorial Library for the duration of the renovation.

AMANDA BUCKINGHAM