Poster boy. The Yale College Council’s annual “Mr. Yale” event took place last night, pitting representatives from each of the 12 residential colleges against each other. Though he’s just a freshman, winner Thomas Gurin ’18 just can’t stay out of the limelight, having already been profiled by the News in a March feature about the Carillonneurs.

Misrepresentative. Among Thursday’s most popular New York Times articles was a piece in the newspaper’s Dealbook section that shed light on the dealings of Joshua Newman ’01. Newman, who began his investing career while still here on campus, now finds himself owing lots of money to former business partners due to deals and relationships turned sour, the article said. Did they really need to highlight that he was a Yale graduate in the headline?   

Winter is over. In case you haven’t noticed, the sun has been out in full force, making it easy to forget that the ground was covered in snow not long ago. It has all since melted — and generally for the better — but Fox CT reported yesterday that the Connecticut River has eclipsed flood stage levels.   

Spring Fling lite. The Sophomore Class Council is hosting a Yale Spring Picnic on Sunday to take advantage of the fact that this is actually the most wonderful time of the year in New Haven, at least with regard to weather. Featuring food, music and other “activities,” the event sounds like a perfect prelude to next Saturday’s event.   

He’s got your back. School of Management professor Jeffrey Sonnenfeld was the subject of a New York Post story yesterday. The piece recapped moments from the past two years in which Sonnenfeld took to the media to vociferously defend various CEOs and companies he deemed worthy of his (emphatic) support.

In the afternoon. This year’s Take Back the Night, which has been held annually since 1975, begins before sunset today. Highlighted by a speak out opportunity for survivors of sexual violence, events will take place across campus.

This isn’t Canada. Still, moose sightings are up across the state, according to a Thursday article by the Torrington Register Citizen. “It’s a small population, but it’s getting bigger,” a state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection representative told the newspaper, also noting that “moose can feel threatened and become aggressive.” Keep your eyes peeled.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1980 The University Budget Committee informs Athletic Director Frank Ryan of its plans to cut $290,000 from the athletic budget, forcing Ryan to consider eliminating entire varsity teams.

Follow along for the News’ latest. Twitter | @yaledailynews

THE YALE DAILY NEWS