After an eventful end to January, February opened with the University in reflection about Yale’s mental health resources and policies. And during a weekend headlined by several marquee Yale-Harvard games, news of a potential meningitis case once again mobilized the University’s public health resources.

TOP STORIES
Condition of student with probable meningitis said to be improving | Director of Yale Health Paul Genecin stressed that while the disease is very serious, transmission rates are low, and the University does not see any need to cancel activities on campus. “You should feel confident gathering with friends and colleagues in classrooms, dining halls, the library, the gym, or anyplace else on campus,” Genecin said.

Withdrawal’s unexpected burden: money | According to the withdrawal and readmission policies outlined in Yale’s Undergraduate Regulations, students who withdraw after the 10th day of a term can receive only a partial rebate on their tuition, room and board for that semester — 50 percent for those who withdraw in the first quarter and 25 percent for those who withdraw in the second quarter. Students who withdraw after midterm are not entitled to any reimbursement of tuition.

Police union condemns University response to Blow case“We completely support our officer in his actions. Yale needs to unequivocally support its police officers when their actions are reasonable and appropriate; not sacrifice them for political expediency.”

Six dead, 15 injured after Metro-North collision | The New York Times reported that the woman driving the car and six other passengers aboard the train were killed. After the crash, MTA spokesperson Aaron Donovan said that the front of the train caught fire, and approximately 400 passengers were evacuated.

EDITOR’S PICKS
From the Opinion pages: Our HIV crisis | “We must recognize that HIV is a problem that affects all of society if we are to make a dent in public consciousness.”

From the News: “The dream is very much alive” | Is social mobility a reality after Yale?

From around the Web: Stream of Foreign Wealth Flows to Elite New York Real Estate, via News alumna Louise Story ’03 and The New York Times | Behind the dark glass towers of the Time Warner Center looming over Central Park, a majority of owners have taken steps to keep their identities hidden, registering condos in trusts, limited liability companies or other entities that shield their names.

From Twitter, via @EmWatson:

THE YALE DAILY NEWS