At the end of this month, Judith Hackman will retire after 43 years at Yale.

The current Director of the Teaching Fellow Program — a position she has held since 1999 — Hackman began her career at Yale in 1971 after teaching high school history. Beginning as the Director of the College Criteria Study, she went on to serve as Associate Director and later Director of Yale’s Office of Institutional Research before becoming Associate Dean of Administrative Affairs for Yale College in 1987.

“I will very much miss the many people I work with,” Hackman said. “I really value education very much – it’s a wonderful pathway for a better life for people. I’ve been proud to be able to contribute to that in many different ways.”

During her time at Yale, Hackman has been involved in community outreach as well, serving as Director and Vice Chair for the United Way of Greater New Haven Campaigns. She was also the president of the Greater New Haven Community Loan Program and a Director and Chair of the Governance Committee for the Neighborhood Music School board.

Hackman’s colleagues said they will miss her presence tremendously. Graduate School Dean Lynn Cooley said she will particularly note the loss of Hackman’s wisdom, stemming from her wealth of institutional memory.

“Dean Hackman has provided wonderful leadership for the [Teaching Fellow Program],” Cooley said. “She deserves enormous credit for managing a complex system, and ensuring that graduate students find the positions they need and undergraduate classes have the best TFs possible.”

A farewell reception for Hackman will be held Thursday the 29th at the Greenberg Center from 5:00 to 6:30 PM.

EMMA PLATOFF