On Tuesday morning, Michael Davidson MED ’96 was shot outside his office at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. Davidson was immediately rushed into surgery, but succumbed to his injuries at 10:53 p.m. that night.

According to witnesses, 55-year-old suspect Stephen Pasceri entered the hospital at around 11:00 a.m. to meet with Davidson at his office when he fired two bullets at the cardiovascular surgeon. Police arrived soon thereafter, closing roads in the area and tracking down Pasceri and a gun within an hour of the incident.

They proceeded to place Pasceri in custody, but have yet to determine an exact motive. What is known, however, is that Pasceri’s father and mother both passed away after being treated at Brigham and Women’s in the last four years. Pasceri contested the medical bill associated with his father’s care in 2011, even demanding an investigation from then-United States Senator John Kerry ’66.

Furthermore, the doctor tending to Pasceri’s mother before her death two months ago was Davidson, an assistant Harvard Medical School professor.

“There’s something in the past that upset this guy to come in looking for this particular doctor,” Boston Police Department Commissioner William Evans said at a press conference.

Pasceri shot and killed himself in an examination room shortly after the incident.

AMAKA UCHEGBU