An 88-year-old woman died in a car crash that may have been caused by icy road conditions, New Haven Police Department reported this morning.

Police were called to North Frontage Road at 7:58 a.m. after 911 calls reported a serious accident, in which a 2001 Ford Taurus struck the third utility pole on the right side of the road just beyond Howe Street.

According to a press release from NHPD spokesman David Hartman, a group of nurses from Yale New-Haven Hospital tried to render aid to the car’s sole occupant — Woodbridge, Conn., resident Elizabeth Mohr — but were unable to save her life.

Hartman said in the release that icy and wet road conditions were likely a contributing factor, noting that police have also been called to investigate as many as forty more accidents this morning, with up to 75 percent of those involved being treated for “minor” injuries.

He added that the damage sustained by the car has led investigators to believe that it was traveling too fast for the poor driving conditions. Still, its exact speed at the time of the crash has yet to be determined.

“Even driving the speed limit on wet, icy or snow covered surfaces is dangerous”, department Crash Investigator Steve Manware said in the release. “We are sometimes deceived into thinking when rain is falling it is too warm for ice to stay on the ground. That is often not the case and people need to take care.”

Multiple weather outlets have indicated that the rainy conditions will continue throughout the day in New Haven.

STEPHANIE ADDENBROOKE