Welcome back. Whether you spent break in the sun or the snow, the daily grind begins anew today, here in wintry New Haven. May the seniors choose their final classes wisely, may the freshmen learn from the mistakes they inevitably made last fall and may we all make it to May 6 whole, warm and sane.

‘Til you drop. The spring shopping period tends to be more eventful than the fall’s — last year, we saw some questionable maneuvering for a spot in Business Ethics and a lot of self-promotion to get into Humility. We’re banking on the 100-student cap for Structure of Networks as a principal cause for some of this year’s fireworks.

Trophy Yalies. Last night’s Golden Globes (i.e., what most of campus watched in a final act of procrastination), showcased a couple of Yale film fixtures, including Claire Danes and Meryl Streep DRA ’75. Though Danes came up short in her bid for Best Actress in a TV Series, Streep shone in her presentation of Best Motion Picture to “Boyhood.”

Cold cash. Still, Yale has managed to paint Wall Street even bluer than Hollywood. The Eli lineup in Saturday’s Yale-Harvard alumni hockey game — staged in conjunction with the Rivalry on Ice matchup at Madison Square Garden — featured employees from JPMorgan, KKR, among other favorites, and was profiled in a Business Insider piece on Friday.

Gourmet Purgatory. For a few days this break, blacked-out windows fueled speculation that Gourmet Heaven had prematurely closed its doors for good. But the deli has restarted operations since, temporarily fighting off death before actually meeting its inevitable, grim fate.

In all its glory. Yale’s crown jewel, the Sterling Memorial Library, shone brightly in a prominent New York Times article published over break. “A Piece of Yale’s Library Is Brought Back to Life” did justice to both Sterling’s post-renovation grandeur and the campus-wide relief that the scaffolding is finally down.

Cast Away Lavarnway. Former Eli Ryan Lavarnway had a chaotic December. The catcher bounced from the Los Angeles Dodgers to the Chicago Cubs and then to the Baltimore Orioles after being released by the Boston Red Sox, who paired Lavarnway with pitcher Craig Breslow ’02 in the first all-Yale MLB battery since 1883.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1932 The University solicits entries for its annual Freshman Boxing Tournament, emphasizing a preference for lighter fighters and dismissing the need for prior experience.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

THE YALE DAILY NEWS