The Yale a capella group “a.squared” performed on NBC’s “The Sing-Off” Wednesday evening, but failed to crack the top three in the a capella competition.

The group, formed at Yale in March 2013, is made up of Nimal Eames-Scott ’15, Paul Holmes ’13, Jacob Reske ’14, DJ Stanfill ’16, Jackson Thea ’16, and is managed by Emily Bosisio ’16. All besides Reske and Bosisio participated in a capella extensively at Yale and were members of The Duke’s Men. Additionally, Stanfill and Thea are current members of the Yale Whiffenpoofs, with Eames-Scott having been a member last year.

A.squared isn’t a typical Yale a capella group, however. As an electronic a capella group, it blends new music technology with traditional vocals. During live performances, the voices are manipulated electronically to create the illusion of many more than five singers. By bridging the gap between traditional a capella and techno, the group is exploring the potential for new genres.

Wednesday night’s episode of “The Sing-Off” featured six a capella groups from across the nation. Although A.squared’s rendition of Bastille’s Pompeii failed to land them in the top three, Judge Shawn Stockman, of the group Boyz II Men, called the performance “revolutionary.”

The Vanderbilt Melodores placed first in the competition and received a $50,000 prize, becoming the first collegiate group to win the competition.

ROHAN NAIK