Forward Alex Rosenberg, a first team all-Ivy selection for the Columbia Lions last season, has elected to withdraw from school and will sit out this season of competition in a move that would preserve his Ivy League eligibility for another year.

On Oct. 24, Rosenberg sustained a Jones fracture in his foot during practice, an injury that typically requires six to eight weeks of recovery. This time frame slated his comeback for late December, prior to the start of the conference schedule, which Columbia begins against Cornell on Jan. 17.

This will be a difficult loss for the Lions to overcome, as Rosenberg, who started every conference game last season, contributed heavily on offense, notching 28.9 minutes per game. He ranked fifth in the league at 16.0 points scored per game and also posted the third-best field goal percentage from three point range, knocking down 43.2 percent of his long range shots.

In the Bulldogs’ loss against the Lions on Feb. 23 last season, Rosenberg totaled 18 points in 33 minutes, converting 12 of 14 free throws to lead Columbia to a 62–42 win, derailing Yale’s hopes of an Ivy League title. He also poured in a career-high 34 points against Harvard in 43 minutes during a double-overtime loss to the Crimson on Feb. 14 of last year.

An Ivy League Player of the Week selection four times last year, Rosenberg was projected to play a major role for a team that looks to challenge Yale and Harvard for the Ancient Eight crown. He was a preseason all-Ivy selection for the Lions.

Yale will look to capitalize on Columbia’s loss of Rosenberg this season, as the gap widens between the Bulldogs and Crimson and the rest of the league. Rosenberg will likely return for the 2015–16 season following waiver approval from the Ivy League, which does not grant medical redshirt years to athletes.

The Elis face off against the Lions on Jan. 30 and Feb. 21 in their quest for the conference championship.

ASHLEY WU