Last week, Dean Peter Crane and Professor Chadwick Oliver, both of the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies (FES), received awards for their research.

Crane received the International Prize for Biology from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) for his work on the evolutionary history of plants. The award, which comes with a prize of 10 million yen, or roughly $100,000, recognizes scientists who have made major contributions to biology.  Oliver is the recipient of the Host Country Scientific Achievement Award and a cash honorarium from the International Union of Forest Research Organization (IUFRO), the largest network of forestry scientists.

“It’s exciting for our School to have two faculty members receive such important international recognition for their career achievements,” said FES communications officer Kevin Dennehy.   “Dean Crane and Professor Oliver have both advanced scientific understanding in their respective fields and called attention to the importance of conserving the planet’s biodiversity and more sustainably managing its natural assets.”

Crane’s work was first to integrate the fossil history of plants with data on living plants to understand the evolution of the biosphere, as well as to add clarity to early botanical history.  JSPS also recognizes Crane’s efforts to increase public understanding of plant diversity and promotion of conservation. A ceremony will be held in Crane’s honor at the Japan Academy in Tokyo in December.

Oliver’s research has contributed to best practices in forest management and forest ecology.  He will be honored by IUFRO in Salt Lake City at its World Congress in October.

TASNIM ELBOUTE