Challenge Accepted.  The Yale Admissions Office took on the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness for ALS. Led by Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jeremiah Quinlan, a group of admissions office workers were thoroughly doused in ice water, but not before passing the challenge on to fellow admissions office workers at Brown Admissions, Yale SOM and the Common App.

Best Friends Forever. Yale and Harvard alum recently set aside “the world’s most pretentious rivalry” to host the world’s most pretentious networking social at the Fly Club this summer, a Harvard finals club. IvyGate recently posted a wine list from the Fly Club dated 2013 which listed drinks starting at $38 and ranging up to $600.

The Yale Bubble spans the nation. Yalies in major cities across the country enjoyed events all summer sponsored by local Yale clubs. Students in New York City had the chance to go to happy hour at the Yale Club of NYC and see a broadway show. Those in San Francisco enjoyed the annual Harvard-Yale Amazing Race as well as a dance party. Students in Los Angeles went camping and matched up with Cornell in trivia.

Power Couple. President Barack Obama handed out the nation’s highest honors for arts and humanities to three members of the Yale teaching staff last month. The recipients of the National Medal for the Arts were School of Architecture faculty, and married couple, Billie Tsien ‘71 and Tod Williams. Meanwhile, David Brion Davis, a professor of American History, received the National Humanities Medal.

Burn Harvard, burn. Former Yale English professor William Deresiewicz published a controversial piece in the New Republic over the summer titled “Don’t Send Your Kid to the Ivy League.”  Accompanied by a graphic of the Harvard flag burning, the article argued that elite universities “are turning… kids into zombies” by focusing too heavily on careers rather than learning to think.

Game set match. The currently ongoing Connecticut Open 2014 features eight of the world’s top-20 female tennis players including Petra Kvitova (rank no.2), Simona Halep (no.4) and Eugenie Bouchard (no. 8).

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1942 Due to wartime rationing, Yale’s supply of beef is cut down by 65%. Meanwhile notices are put out that unless students return sugar ration books to the dining halls, they can say goodbye to iced coffees.

Submit tips to Cross Campus at crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS