On Friday night, police arrived at the intersection of Kensington St. and Chapel St. to find two gunshot victims.

One, 26 year-old Tyrese Jones, died from his wounds just hours later at Yale-New Haven Hospital. Despite being shot at least twice, the other victim is in stable condition after also being treated at YNHH. New Haven Police Department spokesman David Hartman identified him as Troy Mitchell, a 26 year-old Blake St. resident.

“He fled the [scene] in a car,” Hartman said about the gunman in his release. “There is no available description of the car, nor do we yet know if the shooter was the driver or the passenger.”

Investigators have interviewed witnesses and collected evidence, including a gun found at the scene of the crime.

Jones’ death marked the eighth homicide of 2014 for New Haven, falling in line with trends seen last year: An official report issued by the NHPD at the end of June showed the same number of homicides going into July 2013. Before these incidents, the summer had seen only one homicide since the late March, early April shootings that took the lives of two local teenagers in consecutive weeks.

But the violence continued on Sunday morning when police responded to reports of another gunshot victim in a Donna Dr. apartment complex. There, they found Leroy Brown, 23, who had been shot in the side of his head. Hartman revealed that the suspect for this most recent case, 71 year-old Anthony Anamasi of  Donna Dr., is in custody, adding that police are looking into the possibility that Brown provoked Anamasi by attacking him with a knife.

As of Sunday afternoon, Brown remains in critical condition under the care of the YNHH emergency department.

MAREK RAMILO