On Monday night, New Haven Police Department officers were dispatched to the scene outside a local elementary school where they found two gunshot victims. One would later succumb to his wounds, becoming New Haven’s fifth homicide victim of 2014.

The deceased, 17-year old Taijohn Washington, was a New Haven resident. At 8:56 p.m., police found Washington and his half-brother, a 16 year old Hamden resident, on the sidewalk near Lincoln-Bassett Elementary School. The school is located at 130 Bassett St., which is less than 2 miles from Yale campus.

“Both of the shooting victims were transported by ambulance to Yale-New Haven hospital,” NHPD spokesman David Hartman said in a Tuesday press release. “At 9:28 PM, one of the victims was pronounced deceased.”

Washington’s half-brother, whose name is being withheld due to his age, remains in critical condition.

Officers were initially concentrated around the intersection of Lilac St. and Butler St. around the school, but reports of a third shooting victim drew them to a nearby apartment complex on Newhall St. There, they found an assault victim with minor injuries, but investigators have since ruled out any connection to the shooting incident.

“Detectives from the department’s Major Crimes Division and Bureau of Identification are on scene investigating,” Hartman said.

Four of the city’s 2014 homicides have been the result of gun violence.

MAREK RAMILO