As Yale expands its presence in Africa, the University has piloted a new way of keeping people informed about the efforts: an email newsletter.

First sent Tuesday night to approximately 320 people, the newsletter, titled “Focus on Africa,” will be sent on a quarterly basis and will update subscribers about what is going on both “on the continent and on campus.”

“A few goals of the Yale and Africa efforts are to learn about ways we can cultivate new and deepen existing relationships with key partners and increase opportunities for students and scholars in Africa and at Yale,” the newsletter read.

Although the newsletter was introduced by co-chairs of Yale’s new efforts in Africa Ian Shapiro and Christopher Udry, both economics professors, it was sent by Associate Director for Africa Rachel Adams. Adams was hired by the University in December to help coordinate its efforts on the continent.

The email also included information about several new components of the University’s involvement in Africa: Adams’ hiring, the newly-formed Yale Club of Nigeria, an upcoming African Youth Empowerment Conference and the School of Management Africa Business Practicum.

Individuals can sign up for the newsletter through the website of the Office for International Affairs.

According to a question and answer with Adams, the Africa initiative will soon have its own website.

THE YALE DAILY NEWS