Gas leak on Howe and Whalley
Developing story. New Haven Police and Fire evacuated residents living on Howe St. between Whalley Ave. and Elm St. in the early hours of Monday morning due to a massive gas break.
Fire officers informed residents during the evacuation they were concerned about the possibility of an explosion as a result of the leak. At approximately 1:30 a.m., several fire and police vehicles were at the site. First responders were utilizing a fire hose to spray water on a structure at the intersection of Broadway and Howe, but the reason was not clear and officers on the scene declined to comment.
Meanwhile, residents in the surrounding neighborhood searched for a place to go until the evacuation ends.
“They haven’t told us anything,” said Danielle Bainbridge, who lives at 127 Howe St., said. “They just keep evacuating more apartments and pushing us further down the block.”
According to residents living in the neighborhood, workers had spent the past week doing construction around the intersection of Howe and Whalley at night. According to Matt Antoszyk ’14, firemen told him the workers had hit the line, causing the leak.
The smell of gas drifted as far as York St., and a 1:56 a.m. email from Ezra Stiles Master Stephen Pitti encouraged students to keep their windows closed.