Yale made a statement with a 24–10 victory over Cal Poly on the road on Saturday, and the Ivy League took notice. Four members of the football team were honored in the weekly awards handed out by the Ivy League.

Placekicker Kyle Cazzetta ’15, cornerback Spencer Rymiszewski ’17, defensive back Cole Champion ’16 and tailback Tyler Varga ’15 were all named in the weekly press release recognizing the top performers in the past weekend’s games.

Cazzetta was named Special Teams Player of the Week for his contributions to the field position battle against the Mustangs. He pinned the Mustangs inside their own 10-yard line on three punts and averaged 44.8 yards on his five punts. The longest of these kicks, a 68-yard punt, was downed at the Cal Poly seven-yard line.

Rymiszewski was named Rookie of the Week for his work on special teams and on defense. The cornerback blocked a Mustang punt, then picked up the ball and returned it 20 yards to give Yale great field position in the first quarter. He also made six tackles on the day, including one-and-a-half tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

Champion led the Bulldogs in tackles for the second straight week on the way to being named Co-Defensive Player of the Week along with Penn linebacker David Park. The defensive back made 14 tackles, made two interceptions and recovered a fumble. Champion leads Yale with four takeaways this season and is tied with

Harvard defensive end Zach Hodges for the Ivy League lead.

Varga posted his third straight 100-yard rushing game to start the season. He carried the ball 26 times and ran for 114 yards against the Mustangs. Varga leads the Ivy League with 151.7 yards per game.

The Bulldogs will look to remain unbeaten when they play at Dartmouth on Saturday.

THE YALE DAILY NEWS