In a Tuesday email to the Yale community, Chief Information Officer Len Peters updated students on new technology services available to undergraduates and graduates alike.

Based in part on the 2013 “Yale Technology Survey” filled out by students in April, which detailed what technology updates students would find useful for future years, the new ITS-provided services include an expanded software library — which now includes the new 2013 Microsoft Office Professional Plus software package for free to students, a nearly $400 savings. Before, Yale’s Microsoft Office package came with a $25 price tag.

Another resource for students included 50 GB of free file storage through Box @ Yale, which lets users to store, edit, comment on and share all file types, both during their time at Yale and even after graduation.

A lesser-known resource referenced in the email is the new Bass Media Lab. The computer cluster, located on the bottom floor of Bass Library, offers new 27” iMacs and is equipped with specialized media software. Each computer features professional photo, video and audio editing software, including the Adobe Master Collection as well as Final Cut Pro X, Audacity, Handbrake and Sibelius. The space is also staffed by Media Techs who are trained to help students with the media software and checkout equipment.

The most discussed technology shift was the new online Yale Blue Book. For the first time, students were not mailed a physical copy of the courses, and instead used the online version to shop classes before the semester began.

The full annual report is available online.

ANNEMARIE MCDANIEL