THE NEWS

• In August, the students from the inaugural class of Yale-NUS College began their studies at the first liberal arts college in Singapore. The establishment of Yale-NUS, though, did not come without controversy. Students and professors alike have voiced concerns about Singapore’s censorship laws. In tomorrow’s News, Aleksandra Gjorgievska explores the process of building a campus culture from scratch and the impact the school’s liberal arts model may have on education in the region.
  • During talk of the many recent changes in University administration, one small change in Betts House on Prospect Street has gone relatively unnoticed: a new title for Linda Lorimer. Lorimer, now vice president for global and strategic initiatives, said the title does not change her role, which has brought her to the forefront of Yale’s internationalization efforts and other major projects. Although University President Peter Salovey said he wanted to make her title more specific after hearing that administrators’ roles seem “opaque” to many in the Yale community, other administrators have described her previous title — “Vice President” — as emblematic of the all-encompassing scope of her authority and her close relationship with former University President Richard Levin.
  • With the renovation of Chabad at Yale’s new house, attendees of the organization’s Shabbat dinners now have a space in which to light candles and enjoy challah bread without crawling under tables and bumping shoulders. Following a $6-million campaign and two years of construction and renovation, Chabad at Yale’s new home on 36 Lynwood Place stands roughly 10 times the size of the organization’s previous space on Edgewood Avenue. At nearly 11,000 square feet, the Alice Bender Family Chabad House and Berger Family Building will offer students more regular programming, as well as a haven in which to study and relax.

THE WEATHER

High of 89 degrees, low of 68 degrees, scattered thunderstorms.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Hard Cooked Eggs, Vegan Waffles, Waffle, Pumpkin Maple Coffee Cake, Fresh Fruit, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Waffle Bar

Lunch: Dinosaur Shepherds Pie, Vegetarian Chili, Tofu and Grilled Vegetables, Shiitake Veloute, Gingered Chicken and Rice Soup, Sesame Green Bean Salad, Aragonian Lentil and Mushroom Salad, Pork Banh Mi, Roasted Garlic Hummus, Honey Walnut Cookies, Oreo Cheesecake Bars, Fresh Fruit, Hand Breaded Chicken Tenders, Barbecue Sauce, Duck Sauce, Honey Mustard Dip

Dinner: Lemongrass Chicken, Vietnamese Vegetable Curry, Rice Noodles with Spicy Chili Sauce, Cilantro Rice, German Chocolate Sheet Cake, Fresh Fruit, Hanoi Fried Daily Catch

In Commons

Lunch: Dinosaur Shepherds Pie, Vegetarian Chili, Tofu and Grilled Vegetables, Shiitake Veloute, Gingered Chicken and Rice Soup, Sesame Green Bean Salad, Aragonian Lentil and Mushroom Salad, Pork Banh Mi, Roasted Garlic Hummus, Honey Walnut Cookies, Oreo Cheesecake Bars, Fresh Fruit, Hand Breaded Chicken Tenders, Barbecue Sauce, Duck Sauce, Honey Mustard Dip

YALE DAILY NEWS