THE NEWS

• Amid soaring application counts and plummeting acceptance rates each year, one trait that holds steady in Yale admissions is the diversity of the University’s incoming class. Following in the footsteps of the class of 2016 — which boasted the most racially diverse incoming student population in the University’s history — this year’s new freshmen closely mirror last year’s freshmen in terms of socioeconomic and racial diversity. Among the 1,360 students students, 37.1 percent are U.S. citizens or permanent residents who identify as students of color, compared to 40.6 percent last year. Additionally, roughly 50 percent of both the class of 2016 and class of 2017 qualified for University financial aid.
  • Those living near Yale’s athletic fields in Westville this summer were surprised and frustrated as they were struck by the familiar stench of pesticides used by the University to maintain the fields. It is not the first time that these New Haven residents have been exposed to pesticides from Yale’s grasses, said Laura Cahn, a resident of Cleveland Road. Two years ago, she met with Yale officials who agreed to notify neighbors the next time they sprayed. But this summer, the pesticides came without warning around the beginning of August.
  • Friends and colleagues of Chief Investment Officer David Swensen celebrated the completion of the “Swensen Initiative,” a one-year fundraising campaign that raised $35 million, at an Aug. 22 dinner the Development Office thrown in Swensen’s honor. The initiative, a brainchild of former University President Richard Levin, began last fall and ran the entirety of the 2012-’13 academic year. University President Peter Salovey said the University tailored the mini-campaign toward a network of people who know and admire Swensen, who is responsible for managing the University’s roughly $19 billion endowment. Yale will funnel the $35 million raised toward issues important to Swensen, such as innovations in teaching and financial aid.

THE WEATHER

High of 78 degrees, low of 63 degrees, scattered thunderstorms.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Hard Cooked Eggs, Pumpkin Maple Coffee Cake, Fresh Fruit, Fresh Market Fruit, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oatmeal Bar

Lunch: All Natural Beef & Cheddar Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Tuscan Style Penne Pasta, Adobo Pork Loin, Roasted Pepper Burrito, Southwest Pasta, New England Clam Chowder, Roasted Mushroom and Barley Salad, Marinated Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad, Chickpea, Spinach, and Tomatoes on Whole Wheat Pita, Lemon and Kalamata Olive Hummus, Shoestring French Fries, Fresh Market Vegetable, Honey Walnut Cookies, Chocolate Chip Blondies, Tres Leches Cake, Buffalo Chicken Sandwich, Fried Clam Strips, Mexican Chicken Torta, Blue Cheese Dip

Dinner: Grilled-to-order All-Natural Burgers & Cheeseburgers, All-Natural Chicken Breasts, Vegan Black Bean Veggie Burgers

In Commons

Breakfast: Bacon Pizza, Vegetable Stir Fry Bok Choy, Vegetable Stir Fry with Green Beans and Tofu, Shrimp Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Vegetable Fried Rice, Hard Cooked Eggs, Cage Free Scrambled Eggs, Vegan Waffles, Hash Brown Patties, Pumpkin Maple Coffee Cake, Fresh Fruit, Fresh Market Fruit, Pain Perdu, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oatmeal Bar, Waffle Bar

Lunch: Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla, Cod with Breadcrumbs and White Wine, Tuscan Style Penne Pasta, New England Clam Chowder, Roasted Mushroom and Barley Salad, Marinated Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad, Chickepeas, Spinach, and Tomatoes on Whole Wheat Pita, Lemon and Kalamata Olive Hummus, Shoestring French Fries, Fresh Market Vegetable, Honey Walnut Cookies, Chocolate Chip Blondies, Fresh Fruit, Florentine Turkey Burger, Cheese Pizza, Pepperoni Pizza, Blue Cheese Dip

YALE DAILY NEWS