Belgian restaurant Maison Mathis will open at 304 Elm St. on Wednesday, Aug. 28.

The restaurant, which will offer homemade pastries and bread alongside soups, salads, sandwiches and coffee, will be open for both breakfast and dinner, though the store’s exact hours have not yet been released, said Carin Keane, director of retail leasing and marketing for University Properties. The local owners of the restaurant are Belgian natives who plan to bring their country’s flair to New Haven in the form of Belgian waffles and Belgian beer.

“The Maison Mathis menu is an honest reflection of the Belgian food culture we grew up with. You can taste the passion for pure, traditional, good baking and cooking,” local owner Skel Islamaj said in a statement.

New Haven will be Maison Mathis’ flagship location in the United States, Keane said. The owners decided to come to New Haven because they have ties to the Elm City and thought the restaurant would be a good fit in the Broadway shopping district, she added. The restaurant will provide a menu and prices similar to those of Au Bon Pain, which will no longer occupy the space at One Broadway this year, Keane said.

“We are delighted to welcome Maison Mathis to New Haven,” said Lauren Zucker, associate vice president for New Haven affairs at Yale University. “Maison Mathis is a great addition to the outstanding array of dining options in New Haven, combining delicious Belgian cuisine with the knowledge and expertise of its local founders and owners.”

Maison Mathis is currently hiring workers for its new location.

Correction: August 22

A previous version of this article misspelled “Au Bon Pain.”

MONICA DISARE